Sunday, March 17, 2013

Teisha: Who's that girl?

Bongani Dlakama who was crowned Miss Zimbabwe 2012 on Friday is flanked by 1st Princess Petinah Nhamburo (LEFT) and 2nd Princess Ruvimbo Katiyo.


I had heard her name around town.    On the lips of stroller-pushing mothers, black-hatted rabbis, animated Arabic young men and Birthright-touring Americans; in jovial colloquy and serious discussion.   I wondered what kind of person would initiate this kind of respect and promote unity across these broad cultural, religious and political lines.


She was probably an artist.   A vocalist who could put to song the struggle of living in the Holy Land with all it's unique wonders and tragedies.   She might be a daughter of Africa but a citizen of Zion.   A Visionary.   She would make Jew and Palestinian alike feel accepted in their shared ancestry and mutual homeland.   She had to be cool, but modest enough not to offend holy men.


A few weeks went by.   I didn't see her face on any billboards.   I didn't hear about her on any show announcements.    Maybe she was out of the country--touring in Europe or something.


It wasn't until I finally asked a friend who was this Teisha?
All my fine imaginations dashed.   I would never meet this inspiring celebrity.

Teisha was the word for the number 'nine' in Hebrew.



Epilogue:  

 What is sooooooo weird, is:

this kind of happened.    MISS ISRAEL 2013 : Yityish  (Etayish) Aynaw

Yityish Aynaw Miss Israel President Obama
Yityish Aynaw arrived in Israel from Ethiopia when she was 12 years old and admitted it was initially difficult for her to assimilate into Israeli society. Photograph: Avishag Shar Yashuv/EPA
 
 
And her name Yityish, does sound a little like Teish-a.  
 
And I experienced this in 2010~!
 
I wonder if she will be the kind of person I thought she would be and bring the change I thought she would bring. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment