Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What I'm going to Wear to Israel

     For now, it looks like my Israeli wardrobe is going to be brown with black, khaki and cream with accents of red, dark blue and turquoise.    (I love those jewel tones!   I'll have to get them in through colorful scarves.   Maybe I'll look like rainbow sherbert meets GI Joe.)

I'm Scandinavian.    In my gene pool, bright color is how we bring a revolution.   Did you ever see the Finnish ambassador in the 80's?   Inspiring.

I haven't ever been into brown, but it's time.   I will fulfil my fashion duty.  I will wear it like I love it.
(pictures to follow in subsequent posts)

 I knew the Israeli dress code to be 'casual, casual, casual' with hints of 'dark neutrals' thrown in there.      

I now know better.    Here is What to Wear In Israel from someone who has actually been there now.  :]



This site is also great too!

(A quick snapshot of what to wear in Israel from Journeywoman below)

-Israel:  

Very few Israeli women wear shorts!   Even though it is VERY hot in Israel, wear pants and get used to it. Jeans, stretch, or wide legged pants - Shirts that are very "Israeli" can be anything from a tight fitting three quarter blouse or a t-shirt cut at the neck so that it hangs off your shoulders.
And don't depend on borrowing sun tan lotion from an Israeli friend. It is not that common. And most importantly tell your male counterparts not to bring really nice clothing.

Israeli men dress VERY casually (the classic picture is the shirt open at the neck and khaki pants.)

It was Italy's dress code that really got my attention.

They pretty much said,   'Americans, leave your baggy jeans and sneakers at home.  Wear heals or classy shoes and nice shirts with fitted pants or skirts.    Jeans must be skinny jeans.   Don't wear shorts or mini-mini-skirts-even if you see an Italian model wearing one.   Mini-skirts will make you look 'easy'.

Journeywoman - Italy:    Be sure your clothes fit well. Italians hate sloppy or oversized clothing and will stare at Americans traveling alone or in groups who just don't get it.    They feel that presenting a "bella figura" is a personal responsibility, even when traveling.

Great advice if I happen to have a layover in Rome (oh, please, please!)

No comments:

Post a Comment