Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Israel - How it all Started

 I was helping at a Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles) this fall, near Portland, Oregon.    I had taught in China and had recently spent some time serving at a ministry house.    I felt a season of transition was upon me and had been praying and praying and praying about what to do next with my life.   While in this celebration of our Hebrew roots, surrounded by Jewish realia, my desire to visit Israel and learn Hebrew was stirred anew and faith was built to look into the possibility.   

That day, I talked with one of the speakers living in Israel and asked if they knew of any resources for someone wanting to go to live in Israel.   They mentioned a kibbutz.

A kibbutz is like a work commune.   Israel is famous for them and for having foreigners volunteer at them.  Usually the focus of a kibbutz is agriculture but some serve as a retreat center or resort hotel for visitors.  

The speaker's wife gave me the name of a Christan kibbutz called Yad Hashmona.    I usually don't get to things right away, but I looked this one up that evening.    Absorbing page after page of beautiful Biblical scenery and pictures of sociable young volunteers, I was blown away by how much peace I felt about the place.   It was a Christian retreat center set-up and run by a group that came from Finland.   I am a Christian and my mother is Finnish.  It seemed like a perfect match.

After feeling so ill at ease about other things I had looked into (getting my master's, jobs in Portland/Grants Pass, teaching in Asia again, etc. ...) I quickly decided to go in this direction.  I just needed an okay from God and maybe a little more confirmation. 

The next morning I announced at the breakfast table that I was going to go to Israel.  I would volunteer in a kibbutz and I would learn Hebrew!   The woman sitting next to me--who was the director of the Sukkot, said, "You are going to need a ticket for that. I am going to buy your ticket!"    I couldn't believe it.   I just needed a little confirmation from God and He sent me a landslide of, "Yes!! Yes! Go! Go forth and I will be with you...!"   Also, what a sweet blessing that my friend wanted to take care of the first financial obstacle of my trip.
,
It was my utmost desire to learn Hebrew in Israel and what seemed least likely to ever be possible, but in a moment, that all changed.   Now, I'm going to Israel!!!!!! I am going to study Hebrew and work in a kibbutz. :]     

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you and you'll love this crazy beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I look forward to seeing what's coming up next on your blog! :]

    ReplyDelete