Monday, June 4, 2012

My Arab Dentist Adventure: On the way Home...


Part III

Looking deeper into the history and current status of Abu Ghosh, I just found out that it holds the Guinness Book of World Records (2010) for the biggest! plate of hummus.   Another interesting item is, the mayor’s name is Salim Jaber.   Could this be a relative of my Dr. Jaber? Is that why he is so amazing and efficient?  He is related to the mayor?   

Given the Jabers' work ethic, that would be likely.  
If  the Middle East had an ‘Angie’s List’ I would leave a raving review.  



 I also found out that Abu Ghosh is one of the oldest cities in the region. It is closely related to the city of Emmaus and was one of the gate-keeper cities for pilgrims on their way to Jerusalem. 
They have one of the oldest and most well-preserved Crusader churches on its hill. It looks like something out of the Acropolis. Across from it, there stands a statue that looks like an angel that can be seen 20 miles away from Jerusalem.

 Upon closer inspection, it is only Mary holding the infant Jesus, but you would never know from that distance.   (If it didn't look like an angel--which all three main religions in the area have in common--it might have been cracked down years ago.)


A Statue on the church of of Mary holding the baby Jesus
The statue from a little further away.
The Statue - from Jerusalem - 20 miles away.
(It's the diagonal white line in the center on the hilltop's horizon-line.
It must be a miracle to be seen  from so far away when it's only 90? ft high.)


The statue belongs to this convent honoring the site where the Ark of the Covenant rested for 20 years before David got to bring it to the temple. I happened upon this place on my way back home from the Abu Ghosh.




Elated at the success of my visit to a foreign dentist and for not being kidnapped on my first walk in an Arab city alone, I decided to explore whatever was in my path. 


On my way up the side of the hill, I practiced my Hebrew, observed a tallit-wearing Hassidic Jew with glasses in shorts and sneakers bring in boxfuls of food into a MOSQUE! ran into one of the natives that I worked with and hit upon the famed temporary resting place of the Ark of the Covenant.













This was the hill of the house of Abinadab--the place the Ark stayed for 20 years when the Philistines got so troubled by it but before it went to the household that got all blessed for 3 months by it, when David came dancing it into Jerusalem (and had to leave it there because someone got struck all dead by trying to steady it)



This day--this special day--was also when I came across a sign advertising a certain kibbutz I was keeping an eye out for.  Why was I looking for a this kibbutz, you ask?   


In 1969 when my mother was young and single, she came to volunteer in Israel at a kibbutz as I am doing now.    I just found out I am only 5 miles away from where she had her life-changing Israel encounter.













 


















































I couldn't believe I had been living within eye shot of this place.  I had been at Yad Hashmona for three months before I even knew this was here.    On this one day I got to see four major things on my Israeli bucket list.   This memorable day.  When a broken tooth, turned tragedy into triumph, and let me experience going to an Arab Dentist in Israel.



No comments:

Post a Comment