Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bus Drivers: The Real Heroes of Israel + A Sample Bus Ride


Who are the real heroes of Israel, during this peace-time lull?  Bus Drivers.   Careening around corners, in buses big enough for circus elephants,  maneuvering windy roads at highway speeds, they are a wonder.   

Solemn and serene, they don't even break a sweat when handing you change while they're driving at 20 mph: awe-inspiring.   They get my vote for the day and my commendation for bravery.  


Considering things people have done to buses here in the region, they drive them without fear.  They put their own lives in danger every day as they take us, unassuming passengers, from one stop to another.

I love them and they are worthy of any good PR they get.     I'll try to include a clip of a bus ride here to show you what I mean--as well as a picture of my favorite driver.  


This is near Abu Ghosh going in the direction of Jerusalem!
Late in month of March.

He's a hit with all the kids!     The only one I hear them ALL saying good-bye to as they leave.    (He also recognized me and another moshavite one night, pulled the bus over and picked us up so we wouldn't have to walk the last 20 meters to Yad Hashmona in the dark.) 

Now if I could just remember his name...Moshe...Avram? 

No comments:

Post a Comment